This homemade chicken and waffles is nothing like your average chicken and waffles. The chicken is tender and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. It’s well seasoned to its core and slightly sweet. I used a combination of waffle batter and beer for this crispy chicken. The waffles, on the other hand, are tender inside and crispy on the outside, just how I like my waffles.
Do you love fried chicken too? Find my recipe to this tender, yet crispy buttermilk chicken in the video below. Happy watching, but most importantly, happy eating because you are guaranteed to lick your mouth, screens and fingers too 😉
Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself. Find the written recipe below:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps baking powder
- 1/4 corn flour
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsps melted butter
- waffle iron
- extra butter
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 seasoning cubes (Knorr)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- white pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup waffle batter
- 1/4 cup beer
- oil for frying
- Season chicken with the ingredients listed under – “to season’, then let chicken rest.
- In the meantime, make waffles. Add all the dry ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Then add buttermilk, while mixing batter.
- Add in milk, and continue mixing.
- Add in eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Then add in melted butter and mix until well incorporated.
- To coat the chicken, in a separate bowl, combine all ingredients under – “to coat”.
- Pour 1/4 cup waffle batter into seasoned chicken + 1/4 cup beer and mix thoroughly.
- Rub chicken in flour mixture until well coated. When this step is completed, put back in flour and beer mixture and coat evenly again, before coating it again with the flour mixture (watch the video if confused)
- Leave the chicken to rest 5-10 minutes before frying in heated oil
- Fry until golden brown and well done
- To make the waffles, heat your waffle iron and coat it properly with butter or a butter spray (as shown in the video)
- pour some waffle batter into iron, allowing room for it to spread
- Cook waffles according to the instructions on your waffle iron
- Serve with fried chicken and syrup + any sides of your choice.
Share your photos with me on Instagram: @wovenblends