There is something about fried dough that makes people happy. Think puff puff and doughnuts. It might not be calorie friendly, but life is too short to not have treats.
Churros are traditionally Mexican. They are long, and served with a chocolate sauce. Churros are one of the best-selling menu items at Disney theme parks. (This is important information, just in case you are asked on a game show with big money stakes.)
My version presents them in dainty and bite-sized forms, with one of my favourite ingredients – lemon… to cut through all the ‘friedness’.
These are very easy to make and make a perfect snack for movie nights. I sneak a few into my son’s school lunches now and again, without the glaze for a break from typical midday snacks or cookies or chips.
*Warning: These are very very addictive and I admit that a lot of churros were harmed in the making of this post*
To make about 24 bites, you will need:
Ingredients for Churros
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the glaze, you’ll need
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Whisk sugar, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, salt and water in a pot till combined overheat. Remove pot from heat.
- Add flour and lemon zest to the pot and stir until a ball forms
- Transfer ball of dough into a piping bag with a pastry tip attached
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok
- Squeeze dough out and cut with a scissors to desired length
- Fry till golden brown and drain
- To make the glaze, add lemon juice to icing sugar and mix till smooth
- Drizzle glaze over the churro bites and enjoy.
You can serve the glaze in a little bowl as a dip as well. Try it and let me know how it goes.