Veteran Nigerian media personality IK Osakioduwa will return to host the award show with South Africa’s media sweetheart, Bonang Matheba. She will be making her Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards hosting debut at the eighth edition on the 14th of May in Lagos.
Bonang Matheba is a multi-award-winning radio host, TV presenter and style icon renowned for her brilliant presentation skills and signature voice on South African radio and television.
Announcing the awards’ hosts, Executive Head of Content and West Africa Channels, MultiChoice Nigeria, Busola Tejumola said:
We are excited to have Bonang join IK as co-host for the eighth edition of the AMVCAs. They are extremely talented and have attained continental acclaim having hosted some of Africa’s biggest shows. Together they will keep the crowd entertained on the biggest night to celebrate African film and TV stars.
Speaking on her AMVCA debut, Bonang expressed her excitement saying,
It has been a long time coming. It’s always such an honour to host live productions. Post-COVID, we haven’t had the opportunity to be outside to have these big productions with live studio audiences. So, it’s lovely to have all of that back. It’s also an honour. Any single stage I get to step on is an honour. I’ve always wanted to work with IK. I am a big fan of his. So, I’m looking forward to that too.
IK Osakioduwa is once again returning as the host. He began his career in 2001 as a radio on-air personality and became popular for his entertaining presentation techniques. He has since hosted several high profiles shows and programmes such as Big Brother Africa and is the host of the ongoing Nigerian Idol season 7 competition.
Making his return to the AMVCA stage, IK said:
I feel really honoured to be hosting the AMVCAs again. I’m also really excited about the decision to honour the social media content creators with a category of their own. Trust me when I say, without a doubt this year is going to be another amazing outing for the African film industry.
For the eighth edition of the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards, organizers announced a special eight-day series of events, starting with:
- The opening night is on Saturday, 7 May.
- Followed by a first-ever AMVCA runway show on Sunday, 8 May.
- On Monday, 9 May will be Young Filmmakers’ Day with movie screenings and panel discussions by students of the MultiChoice Talent Factory academy.
- Africa Magic will host industry stakeholders for a special Content Market Workshop on Tuesday, 10 May.
- And a pan-African food festival and cultural day on Wednesday, 11 May.
- A Digital Content Creators’ brunch to spotlight the growing popularity of online content creators will hold on Thursday, 12 May.
- Followed by a special gala for nominees on Friday, 13 May.
The awards night will be on Saturday, 14 May and aired live on Africa Magic channels on DStv and GOtv from 4 pm WAT.
For more information, visit www.africamagic.tv/AMVCA.